SDCC is coming, of course, which prompted the idea of formulating a list, but any time is a good time for:
- Colin, how do you as an actor get into character to play a walking love letter to rape culture?
- Jen, can you talk about the direction you got and acting choices you made to portray Emma as…
Questions I’d like asked to the OP:
- Why do you continue to watch a show that is a “teen soap opera full of love triangles”?
- How were the female characters of OuAT “relegated” to the position of love interest? Did you skip the scene where Belle kicks ass to get Ariel and the box back to Neverland, or the episodes where Regina successfully defended herself against Zelena three separate times, or the episodes where Emma played both mother and Savior-protecting and caring for her family in equal measures?
- Obviously you ship SwanQueen by your tags; I wonder why you have an issue with Robin protecting Regina’s heart but didn’t have an issue with Emma saving Regina not only days after they met but also when they were still antagonists to one another thanks to Henry?
- Is it your goal to only ever believe that true love or attraction or family have a place on OUAT if it is between Emma and Regina, regardless of any other story lines presented? Do you recognize that, after this season, the SwanQueen “relationship” will have been given an equal amount of screen time as any CS or OQ “relationship,” and half of the screen time of the Snowing and RB relationships—you may want SQ to happen, but it is not canon, which makes SQ shippers just as fan-based and mired in subtext as you complain OQ and CS shippers are now?
DO YOU RECOGNIZE THAT THE CAST OF OUAT HAVE MADE THEIR CAREERS CREATING ART SO THAT PRETENTIOUS PEOPLE LIKE YOU CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT IT WHEN THE STORYLINE DOESNT GO EXACTLY LIKE YOU WANT?! You want to ask these ACTUAL questions? Who the fuck do you think you are? BE KIND! Be COURTEOUS! The actors and producers of this show do not have to Tweet you, InstaGram you, sign your pictures, take selfies with you, wave at you between takes, or go to Conventions to talk to you. They donit because they respect you as fans and they love you; DON’T BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE IN RETURN.
as some context, this post originated when someone suggested that we not ask SQ questions at SDCC, because they generally (especially Adam and Eddy) don’t answer anything but sycophantic questions and have actively tried to gaslight us that things they wrote never happened and have been rude to SQ question askers, and why should we give them the chance?
i suggested that, rather than ask actual questions they won’t answer and will just be dicks about, we do what is a distressingly common practice at academic conferences and make statements disguised as questions. someone asked me to formulate some. this list is the result. that background got lost as it traveled from its original context, as is the occupational hazard of this platform.
note that i didn’t say people “should” ask these questions, only that they “might.” i don’t think anyone will because fans love their idols too much and making a difference in the world too little. and that’s totally fine; that’s hard-earned money people are spending and just becuase i’d use it for this doesn’t mean anybody else has to.
here are your answers
- i’m not sure i will continue to watch this show, because it’s not the show i signed up for. i love me some Lana, but i’m not sure that’s enough.
- i was speaking specifically of the ones who were two of the three “strong female leads” they have so congratulated themselves on since the pilot. Emma and Regina. to make OQ happen, they had to make Regina stupid. i fully believe that she’s been desperate to be loved her entire life, but not to the point where she’d let a tattoo tell her someone she thought was irritating was her soulmate. to make CS happen, they had to make Emma not able to spot a liar and willing to trade herself when people do nice things. (and actually that could be a really interesting insight into what she’s had to do to survive this far, but they didn’t mean it that way and we know it).
- i don’t have an issue with Robin protecting Regina’s heart because he didn’t, but in terms of Regina giving it to him that was an active decision to put herself at risk by trusting someone she didn’t know. she never did anything of that sort with Emma in S1. did Emma save her from the fire? sure. did Regina have a choice? no. if she had she probably wouldn’t have trusted her. she would have literally been better oft just shoving her heart under a rock, because then Zelena would have had to send her monkeys out to comb the forest for it rather than Rumple being able to easily threaten that plot device (god i fucking hate that kid). again, that relationship required that Regina be stupid.
- thank you for acknowledging that CS and OQ are fan-based and mired in subtext. i didn’t say anything of the sort in this post, but i do think so. no, SQ is not canon. it is not likely to ever be canon. that is why there are not very many SQ questions here even though that is what i was asked for, because there is no point. either SQ was the endgame from the get-go and they’re misdirecting, or it will never be, because Adam and Eddy are constitutionally incapable of course correction.
- Once is not art. it’s television. pretty terrible television, because it’s not like television can’t be art, but this ain’t. i’m not complaining that the storyline hasn’t gone exactly the way i want. i’m complaining that the storyline has set women, gender, and sexuality back 50 years. it’s true. “The actors and producers of this show do not have to Tweet you, InstaGram you, sign your pictures, take selfies with you, wave at you between takes, or go to Conventions to talk to you. ” nor do we have to support them and their endeavors and enable their comfortable lifestyle by buying what they’re selling. they get something from this too; this is not some kind of charity.